A Day in the Life of JonnyQ888

A Day in the Life of JQ888

Thursday, October 06, 2005

The More Things Change....

After the whole fiasco with HTAR and the load times, you'd think that would be one of my main concerns from that point on. It was. I made sure that #2 and #3 loaded quickly and efficiently; all was well. Then I made the form.... I've had several clicks but no leads. I looked at my stats and all of the visitor lengths were 0 sec. I decided to take a look and make sure the form was actually there. It took forever to load. I wouldn't be surprised if the sigh I made was heard in Canada.

When I was making the form, little did I realize that the amount of code was enough to make the size of the html file significant (for html at least). Add to that images that I did not bother to optimize and you have a simple web page that has unforgivably long load times. I ran it through sitereport card and it said the load time was 30+ seconds for 56k. 30 SECONDS!

After my discovery, I spent the night trying to redo the header to reduce the load time. I was able to get it down to 14kb from 52kb (I still can't believe that I didn't check that) but it is not enough. The problem is simply that the form is full of all kinds of stuff that takes awhile to load. Need to figure out how to slim this down.

Looks like I will have to start a new Adwords campaign. Everything was fine until last night. One of the keywords I put in was too broad and untargeted. 1,500 impression and 1 click puts you in a bad spot when you have CTRs to maintain. No way to fix it either. Seems like I have been through this stuff before. The more things change, the more they stay the same....




Subscribe in NewsGator Online

2 Comments:

  • Try putting negatives for ALL the possible words that people could look for that isn't related ( just look at your keyword list to find them), that'll take the impressions down. And are you advertising through all the networks or on google only? It helps to advertise on google only in the beginning.

    By Blogger Unknown, at 11:42 AM  

  • Thanks for the tips Jean-Rene. I will be redoing the campaign and doing thigns in a much better manner this time around

    By Blogger JonnyQ888, at 4:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


 
eXTReMe Tracker