A Day in the Life of JonnyQ888

A Day in the Life of JQ888

Wednesday, April 13, 2005

As He Sits, Cackling Madly......

PROGRESS!! After days of being stuck, there has finally been some progress. I found an html editor a week or two ago and have been trying to learn how to use it. I tried being hardcore and coding with a text editor but its just too inefficienct for me. I'm sure there are plenty of people out there who can do it well but I am not one of them. Well, this morning I said enough was enough. I was going to get things done. I learned some of the basics of CSS and threw together an external style sheet. With that in place, all I had to do was copy and paste my articles into the html editor and BOOM! I have web pages. The style sheet makes it incredibly easy to make sure that all of the pages have the same format. I finished coding all 25 of my articles plus the home page in just over an hour. There are some changes I need to make but the content and graphics are finished.

If you are doing your html with a text editor or you want something like Dreamweaver but can't afford it, check out Nvu. It's free and after you get past the learning curve, it's smooth sailing. I don't know about other html editors, they probably have this function too, but you can create your own templates with Nvu. It's good stuff. Also, invest the time in learning how to make external style sheets. Sitepoint has some good articles that helped me get on top of it quickly. Just do a search on their site for "CSS".

BIG NOTE: I do not know if Nvu has spyware or not. I've run Spybot since downloading it and things seem to be ok but I just want to make sure you know that I can't guarantee that it is spyware-free. Just looking out for those of you on the other side of the monitor.

Now that I have figured out how to use Nvu and have some CSS under my belt, things are running smoothly. With a few more changes here and there and getting the navigation elements in place, the site will be ready to go live. The tax man needs to hurry up with my check. Can't get hosted without that money.




Subscribe in NewsGator Online

3 Comments:

  • So CSS is THAT good to use...hmmm you got me re-thinking :)

    By Blogger Unknown, at 7:23 AM  

  • Spywares ?!? No. You can be sure that the packages available from www.nvu.com and its official mirror at nvu.viapanda.com are spyware-free. Of course, we are not responsible for other mirrors.

    Daniel Glazman, Nvu Engineering Lead

    By Blogger Daniel, at 10:03 AM  

  • Good to know. Thanks for the post.

    By Blogger JonnyQ888, at 11:23 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


 
eXTReMe Tracker