A Day in the Life of JonnyQ888

A Day in the Life of JQ888

Sunday, November 13, 2005

Explanation for the Shift

Those of you who have been reading this blog for awhile may have noticed that I am starting to focus more on getting PPC traffic than on the SE variety. Slowly, but surely, the veil is being pulled from my eyes and I can see things from a different perspective.

We all start this affiliate stuff with dreams of making massive amounts of cash and no longer relying on a pay check from some employer. To make the deal sweeter, you hear all the time about people who accomplish this while only paying for hosting, domain names, and any software they may need. We get excited and can't wait to get started. Of course we quickly come to the realization that things aren't going to be that easy.

Now this is not to say that it can't be done strictly with SEO and SE traffic. We all know people who have done well with free traffic. Here's my thing: SE traffic is, in part, an uncontrollable variable. Yes, you can do everything right as far as SEO goes and still not get great rankings for any number of reasons. Whether it's from competition, changes in algorithms, or unknown penalties that may be leveled against your site, SE traffic is never totally in your control.

For the most part, the opposite is true of PPC traffic. You live and die by your efforts and skills in that arena. So far, I have been dying (I told you that you would be privy to my successes and failures) but I'm on my way to changing that. Your keywords, your adcopy, and your bid amount are in your hands. PPC isn't susceptible to as many random factors as SE traffic. Couple that greater level of stability with the virtually instantaneous traffic you receive, PPC has started to look better and better to me.

Now you are probably saying, "What about the money? Advertising costs money." Yes it does but look at it this way, if you could find a program that has 100% return on investment (ROI) then you'd make back your money plus have a profit of the same amount you paid. Pay $5 and gross $10. And I know many who consider 100% ROI to be low. Try that on the stock market.

Anyway, there are just too many benefits for me to neglect PPC as I did in my first venture into the arena. Another thing that it has pointed out to me is that my sales copy is not conducive to making sales. That's a bad thing to have happen but a good thing to know=) HTAR, for example, is more informative than enticing. There is all kinds of home theater and physics knowledge there but the presentation does not hit people with the "I have to have that!" feeling. It is this realization that has prompted me to split the Business into two areas, PPC-driven affiliate programs and SEO-driven ad-barring informational sites. I am hoping that this diversification will prove fruitful in the future.




Subscribe in NewsGator Online

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


 
eXTReMe Tracker