A Day in the Life of JonnyQ888

A Day in the Life of JQ888

Sunday, December 04, 2005

I Think I Found the Key

First, last month's numbers.

Adsense: $57.86
The month started off slow but started to pick up. $2.12 off of my monthly maximum with Adsense.

Affiliate Sales: $49.82
Adwords Expense: $119.01
Affiliate Profit: -$69.19
Yes, I lost money last month with pay per click. This 70 bucks is what I consider to be payment for the lessons that I learned from my missteps. Believe me, I learned them well.

Undetered by my losses, I made some serious evaluations of my process and made radical changes as you will see from this very rough timeline. The results that are listed often were not available until the following day.

11/29&30 - Suspect that the domain name may deter people from clicking ads. The original presentation was very plan and meant to shuttle visitors to the merchant as quickly as possible. Action: Bought a dedicated domain for this program and created header graphic. Started PHP script. Result: Over 160% increase in clicks on the ads. No sales.

12/1 - Suspect that better sales copy is needed. Action: Created Sales Copy ver 2. Finished PHP script to more efficiently work with the affiliate program. Result: 1 sale.

12/2 - Finished implementing PHP for all products. 2 sales.

12/3 - After the first back-to-back sales days, better sales copy obviously works (Ya think?). Analyzing the PPC costs for the day, one product generated 1/3 of the total expense and 0 sales. Action: Created Sales Copy ver 3 & eliminated money draining product. Result: 3 sales.

That brings us to today. Slept on the couch again last night. I was lazy this morning and layed on my couch watching 24 until about 11. When I finally got up, I decided to check my stats. Before I had even brushed my teeth this morning, I had made 5 sales! I would go on to make 3 more until about 6. The PPC costs for the day were only $3 higher then yesterday even though I made a profit that was several times greater. I am currently at 95% ROI for the month. The thing that gets me about today is I grossed more today than I did all month last month with affiliate sales.

So, I think I have stumbled upon the key I needed in order to make PPC work. It took a lot of time, money, and testing to get to this point but my eyes are starting to open. I will have to keep working at it to make things more profitable but at least my foot is in the door now. I am finally closing in on the point where I will be able to, in the words of Jscott, "Rinse and Repeat."




Subscribe in NewsGator Online

2 Comments:

  • Wow, you started after me and your way ahead lol. Good job dude.

    By Blogger Unknown, at 9:11 AM  

  • I hope these posts are helping people because PPC is tough. The one thing that I am sure of is that I will be making the shift from Adsense to affiliate sales. When I think of all of the work and effort I put in with Adsense, it just isn't worth it. I struggle to make $2/day after nearly 7 months. I've been working on this holiday PPC promotion for a month and 2 days now and I make between $10-20/day. No comparison.

    I don't know about way ahead but things are progressing. I need to reduce my expenses. I'm getting the clicks and making sales each day but my costs are too high to maintain my ROI.

    By Blogger JonnyQ888, at 10:28 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


 
eXTReMe Tracker