A Day in the Life of JonnyQ888

A Day in the Life of JQ888

Saturday, November 17, 2007

Fiascos

You know, you do your best in this game and sometimes things just slip past you. Perfect example. I have been doing split testing on my sales letters for months now trying to increase conversions. I'd tweak this or that and send traffic to the letters to see how they performed... or so I thought.

Earlier this week, I was messing around with my Adwords ads. I have each word assigned to a unique URL so my tracking software can recored the ROI on each term. I just happened to click the URL on one of the words and it took me to the sales letter. The OLD sales letter... The OLD sales letter from months ago that I had abandoned in lieu of newer, better ones. My affiliates had the benefit of the new sales letter (which their sales have disappeared) and my list went to the new letter but my ads were going to the old ones. This probably cost me a nearly $1000 in ad costs and lost revenue. The funny thing is that there has only been on month since June where I wasn't in profit, I believe. The profit hasn't always been great but it has usually been there.

So I redirect my ads to the new letters thinking that my bring the turnaround I have been looking for. Nope, I'm getting less traffic now. I've been testing out the position bidding to get my costs down. And it has done that. I'm at 400% ROI for the month but the combination of the recent "Google Slap" and the position bidding has dropped my ad traffic from 60-80 visitors/day to 9-20. Can't make sales with so little traffic. It's not possible.

It's time to regroup. I have set my ad spending to $100/day and opted for the accelerated distribution in hopes that it will increase my traffic to the new letters. I am also about to employ an old domain I bought a year ago to direct ad traffic to the sales letter to see if that helps any.


I am also working on my shopping cart. I talked to the dropshipper and he said I just need to provide my credit card info and return address and I'm good to go.

I'm trying desperately to break into a new market. I've made a list of possible markets with a lot of traffic. I need multiple streams of income to make things consistent.




Subscribe in NewsGator Online

3 Comments:

  • Good work, Jon. That's a brave move to crank up your PPC, but if it makes profit then that makes sense.

    I'm still testing my PPC, but I think I need to bid *even higher* to get back into the sweet spot on click-throughs.

    Good luck!

    By Blogger Roger Hutchison, at 11:07 AM  

  • The new salesletters are converting better, but are you constantly testing the new salesletter by changing stuff on it to make that one convert better?

    and by the way, have you considered ebay as an extra source of income for your dropshipping? It could be a nice extra source of income, and you could send visitors to your about me page and then send those visitors to your site.

    By Blogger Unknown, at 10:09 PM  

  • Unfortunately the traffic has dried up. I'm not sure what's going on but my main keyword is getting as little as 1/3 of the traffic it used to.

    Jean-Rene, yeah I am always testing to try to get a higher conversion rate. That's the only way to get there. That's not to say that I completely revamp everything each time. I take the winner of the contest and keep it as the control salesletter. Then I make one change to it, say to the headline, and do split testing. Once a winner has been determined, I do that process again. Every so often I will do a complete revamp but when I do, I'll keep the old winner as the control vs. the new revamp.

    By Blogger JonnyQ888, at 8:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


 
eXTReMe Tracker