A Day in the Life of JonnyQ888

A Day in the Life of JQ888

Sunday, August 21, 2005

Obligations

Well this weekend I didn't get much accomplished. I was able to get some link exchange requests for #3 out there. Two have been completed already. Thankfully, sites in this area are very much into the form link request. I don't really bother with the people who say, "Post my link and email me to get yours posted." Been burned too many times by people who are too lazy or lack the ethics to actually follow through. I also had my first two legitimate search engine visitors to #2 from MSN. I'm showing up on page 1 and 2 for the two phrases that were searched.

Disclaimer:
I'm about to go off so if you aren't in the mood for an editorial/rant, you should probably stop reading. You've been warned.

Sometimes (often times) I put more on my shoulders than I have any right to. I'm pissed off because I am helpless. I don't have the power to effect change in the world like I want. I can scream and shout, protest and vote and things don't go the way I want them to. Last night at 3 am some friends and I had an alcohol influenced conversation on the state of this country and it stuck with me when I got up today. There are so many things to choose from but I am going to talk about oil.

Our dependence on oil is the root of all evil. So many things would be for the better if we would just wean ourselves off of petroleum. The problem comes from the people in power; too many of them made their money from oil or have connections to people currently making their money from it. Rather than trying to find renewable forms of energy, you have insidious, corrupt individuals like Tom DeLay wanting to drill in Alaska. Why? Because his constituents are made up of major petroleum companies out of Houston. They have power, I don't.

I read a book by Dave Ramsey awhile back and in the end he said it is the obligation of the just and good of the world to accumulate wealth. In doing so, the just gain power to effect change in the world; change that the unjust have monopolized for too long.

This quest of mine to become wealthy goes beyond the desire to live the life I want; the desire to have the things that I want. This is also about fulfilling this self-imposed obligation to try to effect positive change in the world around me. I'm not arrogant enough to think that I can take on the oil industry or anything like that but I do think that I can do some good somewhere, somehow. Even if it is something small it will be better than not doing anything at all. Like I said, I probably have no right to put that obligation on my shoulders but it's there and I'm going to run with it.




Subscribe in NewsGator Online

1 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


 
eXTReMe Tracker